Thursday 16 January 2014

The Great Pacific Ocean

So, I'll let you in on a secret... my Trip Around the World isn't really around the world. I thought it would be; I knew I'd be going from Malaysia, which to me looked like the far "right" corner of the world map to Argentina, close to the "left" side. What I didn't realize, was how BIG the Pacific Ocean is! If you take a good look, it's really wide! In North America, we really get used to looking at the world this way, but remember, the rest of these maps are all correct, too!







So when I started looking at flights, I realized how expensive it is to fly across the Pacific Ocean. With no land to stop on, you need a really large plane that can carry a lot of fuel. Not as many people want to travel this direction, either, so the cheaper flights are ones that fly through really common destinations. So suddenly, I was looking at some really long, and unusual flights, to get me to Argentina!

I had a few 'layover stops' to choose from: Dubai, United Arab Emirates; Istanbul, Turkey; and Paris, France were the cheapest. But they were all really far north! So I was looking at a really long flight, then stopping over for a few hours, then another really long flight! So, I decided that I would stay for a few days in my layover city to have some rest and not spend over 24 hours straight on a plane. It wasn't hard to choose... a city I'd never been to before, but always wanted to go to won out: Paris!

Stay tuned for my whirlwind tour of Paris in January, five days, four nights, in the City of Lights!

No comments:

Post a Comment