Sunday 6 October 2013

Madagascar: Lunar Landscape

My journey outlined in black

So far, my trip has taken me to the North: Sambava, Marjojey, Vohemar, L'Ankarana, Joffreville, and Diego Suarez. I've seen some incredible creatures like chameleons and lemurs. But I've also seen some really unusual landforms. Check it out!

In Marjojey National Park, I battled leeches and colourful millipedes in the rainforest. Trees were massive. The ground was covered with rocks, moss, and tree routes. Vines fit for Tarzan hung from branches and looped around creating swings! It was very green! Mixed in were bamboo forests. It was steep and difficult!

Hiking to the Park Entrance

Pineapple Plant!

The rainforest, of course, has many beautiful waterfalls.

Bamboo Forest



In Sambava, Vohemar, and Diego Suarez, I stayed in places right on the beach. The water was crystal clear and a beautiful turquoise. I visited the Emerald Sea, just outside of Diego on the Indian Ocean. It was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to!




In L'Ankarana National Park, I saw a rock forest (called 'tsingys' in Malagasy) for the first time in my life. Volcanic activity and rainfall erode the limestone into peaks and gorges. It looks like something you'd find on the moon! I also explored a bat cave and Mr. Elder and I worked on our synchronized 'high five'!

Sitting in a tree of vines!
Two thumbs up for National Park #2!

The Tsingys


High Fivin' in the Bat Cave!

Then, again, I saw more Tsingys near Joffreville. These ones were red, therefore called the Tsingys Rouges. 


In Montagne d'Ambre, I explored another rain forest, but it was very different. It was originally planted by the French who wanted to see what types of trees would grow in Madagascar. So the forest looks very organized with rows and columns of big trees, and smaller trees and plants scattered beneath. The trees are of all different kinds (our guide pointed out ones from France, Japan, and Chile). It was the weirdest mix, but very beautiful! There are lemurs in this park, too, but we didn't see any. Most are nocturnal, and our guide told us it is the season for mother lemurs to be pregnant, so the lemurs stay high in the trees so they aren't disturbed).

Three thumbs up for National Park #3!





Side note...Montagne d'Ambre is also the home of one of the world's smallest chameleons! It's so cute!


Another tree that's famous here is the baobab. I've seen a few different types. Here's one of the largest in Madagascar!


Next, I'm heading South to the highlands, so I can't wait to see what it has in store!

No comments:

Post a Comment